Friday roundup: All Duran, All the Time


I know I’ve used this photo before, but dang it, it’s one of my very favorites, just for the uber-glamorous half-assedness of it. John and Simon can’t be bothered to put down their cigarettes, John looks on the verge of tears, Roger is hiding behind his sparkler, and Nick, the magical pixie, is busy setting his hair on fire. At least Andy and Simon seem to be having a good time.

Duran Duran’s Paper Gods album is out today, so the guys have been doing a slew of promotional stuff. There’s a good, long interview in The Guardian in which everyone is in fine form. Here's my favorite bit, in regard to filming the Sri Lanka videos (“Hungry Like the Wolf”, “Save a Prayer”, “Lonely In Your Nightmare”):

John: Then Andy fell off a tree into a lagoon and got poisoned. We heard about that for a long time afterwards. That was one of Andy’s favourite resentments: “Oh, that fuckin’ island …”

Nick: I don’t know, I never used to listen to him.

Yep, we know, Nick. Andy wrote a 320-page book about how you never used to listed to him.


I’ll be seeing them in concert next week and next month. Heady stuff! This will effectively triple the number of Duran Duran concerts I’ve attended.

I’ve done a staggering amount of blog work this week—Miami Vice on Monday, The A-Team on Tuesday, and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. yesterday—so this is going to be very short. I just want to quickly draw your attention over to the side panel on the lower right of this page, that “Popular Posts” bit. See it? (If you’re reading this on a mobile device, probably not.) Anyway, that’s a running tally of my top ten most-viewed posts, based on total page views per week. 99.99% of the time, the top post is my four-year-old Strange Sick Sad Career of Thomas Gibson essay, which, for some unfathomable reason, continues to be a monstrous juggernaut in terms of page views. It’s usually followed closely by my Criminal Minds: Top Ten Episodes post, which is almost five years old at this point. I have no idea why, but those two posts account for an ungodly percentage of my total site traffic. It’s the weirdest thing. While they’re perfectly good posts (I say modestly), at this point they’re both very old and outdated and not terribly representative of this site’s usual contents. It’s a rare event when any new post is able to dislodge those two posts, however briefly, to gain the top spot.

This week, my Miami Vice post managed to knock them both down to seize the number-one position on this list, thanks to a little vital signal boosting from that episode’s guest star, Lou Diamond Phillips:


Thanks, LDP. I owe you one.

Because my obsessive little brain is fixated on The Man From U.N.C.L.E. these days, here’s a swell fan-made video devoted to the inimitable Illya Kuryakin, which manages to capture the bright, bubbly, kooky, hilarious feel of the show:


To end this on a Duran note, here are the boys in 1981, performing “Friends of Mine” (complete with lip-sync errors and a slapped-together video—stop sneaking peeks at the camera, Nick, we can see you) on the BBC’s Multi-Coloured Swap Shop. Darn good song, they all look great, and while there’s not enough substance to the video to warrant a Duranalysis, it’s still fun to watch.



Until next week.

Comments